Monday, March 25, 2013

Souvenirs and Mount Takao

Been a while since I updated blog. Still alive but not much to report from previous days. Friday was pretty much boring as hell day. Plans got bit changed by outside reasons so didn't go even to park like I had intended. In the end I just walked through various stores in Shinjuku, including Kinokuniya which is ridiculously big book store. All I bought was souvenirs for my niece however...

Funny way Japanese have to mark closing time. In Finland that would be 02.00 for closing.

Saturday went with meeting a Japanese and Chinese at the same time. Wasn't that successful meeting and doubt I hear from them again. Did see some Sakura again and bought lots of souvenirs especially since after meeting I headed toward Akihabara where I was able to get some more. Have to say Akihabara is not my favourite place in Tokyo. Too loud, too flashy, too crowded. Gives me bit of a headache but thankfully I survived the trip with sanity intact :) Got presents for cousins daughters, one little brother, mother, sister, father and friend. Only few more to go and at least everybody has something. Then I see what else I can fit to luggage.

Unfortunately my camera had run out of batteries and didn't have spare ones so had to settle for phone's camera.








Sunday I went to Kunita park again. I went there once before(that's the place that took ages to walk into). Wasn't sure how my left feet that's still hurting a bit would take it but it went surprisingly well. Reaching the park didn't feel at all the same kind of pain as I had felt last time. This time I would explore whole park!

With the Sakura's in full bloom the park was totally crowded! Everywhere I looked I could see families and friends together enjoying. I'm told it's actually job of newest employees in companies to go early up to park and reserve spot for company's sakura parties. Seeing the crowd I can believe that! Actually I had lunch box with me for eating but couldn't find spot under sakura tree...Had to settle to eat under some other tree bit away from the sakuras...









Unfortunately weather was bit of cold as sun had been hidden behind the clouds all day(which actually seems to be case for pretty much entire week according to weather forecast) plus wind so sitting still made me actually feel bit of a chilly so in the end didn't do that much and just walked around the park enjoying the views. Eventually I came across the art museum I had seen before but not too interested in modern art, pricey and no photographing so skipped it again.



What on earth the thing on top of a horse is anyway?


Then on Monday. Didn't feel like spending 4th day in a row not seeing anything new or interesting so decided to go somewhere. And felt like doing bit of a mountain climbing! There's this smallish, 599 meter tall mountain called Mount Takao(Takaosan in Japanese) about 44 kilometer train travel away from where I live. You can get half way to the top with what Japanese call cable car. So packing my stuff I was on my way. Weather wasn't great today either but didn't feel like cancelling the trip. Going there was easy enough and arriving I was welcomed by...Rain! Dammit dammit dammit DAMMIT! This was not starting too well!


Was feeling some serious doubts do I want to go up there in rain but in the end figured I'll be damned before I let little rain to stop me so bought both way trip on the cable car(though wasn't sure I would use it to go down) and went up. Then I started to follow route 1 that's paved and fairly easy to follow. Unfortunately didn't feel much taking camera out for pictures in the rain so for a while didn't take much pictures though there was this nice shrine(maybe to give your last prayers for safe trip before going up!)











Luckily as I got up the rain gradually decreased so I could start taking photos of the route up. It didn't take me that long to get up though it was still about 300m up and about 1.5-2 kilometer walk to get there.





Finally I reached the top. Felt great! Haven't been doing mountain climbing before. Not sure if this is first time I have tried something like this. Maybe when I was younger was doing something similar with parents but certainly first time I have went on my own to climb the mountain(even if cut half of it ;)

On up it was time for little tea time so went to tables and spotting table with just two old ladies(maybe in their 40's or early 50's) asked if I could sit there which was no problem. Pulled up this huge 2 liter bottle I had bought yesterday and forgot to my bag(and when I remembered it was there I was already on my way and figured at least won't run short of drinks! Just bit extra challenge to carry extra 2 kilos behind me!). Proved actually useful as the ladies commented on the size of bottle and how they only had these like 100 ml or so bottles. This actually ended up sparking nice little chat in Japanese. Yey! Been having hard time getting to chat in Japanese so this was very nice bonus.

Unfortunately the weather was bad so couldn't see far from the top. On clear weather you can see the mount Fuji from here but now sky was this dull grey from the clouds. Bummer.





On my way down I had planned to follow the route 1(paved and all) but when I spotted route 3 and on a whim I decided to follow that one instead. This would mean no cable car down as this goes other route but was feeling surprisingly good so figured let's go! After following the path for a while it occurred to me that this might have been one of my worst ideas for a while. Path was very steep at times, VERY narrow and due to the rain the path(and in particular stones and roots on the path) were very slippery. And there were no hand rails so if I slip on my steps it's a drop of tens of meters of very steep slope to almost certain death if I can't catch grip from root or something to stop the fall.







Last show tries to show the width of the path. The red thing left of back is end of the path on the left. Leaves on right show end of the path there. Unfortunately steepness of the isn't that well shown. And this was on the bit better parts of the path...










On my way I came across this bird who sure doesn't seem to be affraid of humans. It actually walked right past my feet. At closest the space between bird and me was less than my fists width!




After that last shot the bird took sharp turn toward me and went right past me.


On my way I spotted sign that said "Biwa falls". Waterfall? Hell yeah! This was nice surprise. By now I was starting to feel bit of exhausted as the constant effort from not going too fast down was starting to wear down a bit so when another Japanese came toward me going up(he's serious mountain climber obviously!) I asked if the bottom was near. He said about 10 to 15 minutes and gave suggestion that there's T-cross ahead and left one takes me there faster but on the T-cross I spotted that turning right leads me to the waterfalls so there instead. Bit smaller waterfall than I had hoped though :-/








Another small shrine I think. Seeing what path this was leading to going upward definitely good place to make prayers for safe return!

After this it was easy walk to town. I DID IT! I could feel quite an adrenal rush coursing in my veins from the experience. Okay so it was not even 600 meter tall mountain and cheated up way a bit but still quite an experience for me. Especially the climb downward which at times was bit of hair rising. I definitely do not recommend this path for children, anybody with bad head for heights and anybody with bit of common sense ;) For clinically insane like me it's however fair game :D






On the town I bought couple souvenirs for mother, sister and little brothers(and one for myself). And spotted hello kitty themed pop corn vending machine...

Japanese sure love all things "kawaii" ;)

When I reached the station where you start the cable car climb I ran into the 2 old ladies from the top again. Bit surprised since I thought they would have been here faster than I am but then again maybe they weren't in a rush to reach the lifts. I also ran into them AGAIN when I entered the train as by chance I entered same train car as they had much to mutual amusement so we spent time chatting together again. They actually mistook some of the souvenirs meant for my own children and were bit of surprised to hear how young little brothers they are meant to(well the age difference is bit larger than usual probably...).

On my way to home I went to go salon to play few games(lost both) since it was conveniently between the mountain and home and after that straight to 7eleven to buy some food and for celebrating climb well done I bought myself this dessert for myself. Had been eyeballing it for a while but since I'm trying to lose some weight had resisted the temptation but figured I had earned extra treat with the climb.

Was good!

Not sure yet what I'll be doing tomorrow. Probably go do some more sight seeing. Artificial island of Odaiba sounds like a possibility. Would also see the rainbow bridge and replica of statue of liberty. On Wednesday I have another meeting with Japanese who is coming to holiday from studying in England. Another 2 scheduled for weekend.

I'll be trying to see if I can find some other mountain that would be reasonably easy to climb. Nothing major like Mount Fuji(whose climbing season is in August anyway) but some 600-900 meter tall could be fun. Hopefully on a bit better weather. That or I'll go climb this one in a better weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment