Tuesday, March 5, 2013

And then there was pain

Today I thought about looking around the local areas and go find Kinuta park. There's lots of sakura trees of various types so the sakura season lasts about 2 weeks there which is longer than usual. As such I expect to spend there a lot at the months end.

First place I found was shrine of some kind. Nice. These I have been meaning to check out. Unfortunately there was again photography prohibition in place for the center.












For breakfast I bought set of sushi from nearby 7eleven with some sort of blueberry juice? for drink. Makizushi was good but the brown ones...Well not bad as such but made me happy I had that juice as it made me very thirsty.


Price was about 400 yen for the sushi set and 120 yen for the juice. After this I walked around the corner and found another interesting looking small pathway.








Coming back I noticed sign from which I realized I was walking on a graveyard...Oops. I hope nobody minds me taking pictures there!


Not sure what building that is but seeing there was no signs or something might be somebody's private home so I figured lets stay away from there. Nice looking building though.

Then it was time to head toward the park. I had figured out easiest looking way there which unfortunately wasn't shortest as the easiest way would be to follow couple main streets forming up basically upside U from my home. Unfortunately this also meant I was going AWAY from the park for a while. Probably couple km away birds way but with my route somewhat more. On my way I spotted food branch selling anman's. I picked 2 meat filled ones(nikuman or manniku they were called I think). Looks a lot like white bread except very soft and inside has filling. Also makes up mess quite easily. No wonder they provided wet towels, one per bun.


On my way I made new record even for me. I got lost walking straight! What actually happened was that I suddenly had ugly feeling I had actually went wrong way on the few points where street splits. I couldn't find anything that would recognize from the map, suddenly there was no "setagaya doori" signs, instead there came "sakura shomae" sign(guess in retrospect that was just name of the area...). I walked up and down the street couple times until I gave up and went to the koban(police box) to ask where in bloody hell I am(well obviously did not word it like that!). As it was I was in correct street, just only about 40% way I needed to walk. And so I walked, I walked and I walked and there was growing pain in my feet.

But finally I found the big X-crossing I was heading, turned left and then walked some more. And some more. And more. With pain growing I sighed in relief when I finally got to the park.



Then I came across tree with pink flowers. Surely that's not The Sakura? Bit early since this years sakura season in tokyo is expected around 25th day but then again it could be early bloomer. Or it could just be plum tree. Either way pretty as newborn baby and air smelled very sweet. If that IS sakura I'll be in heaven when they are blooming properly.




I reached some sort of restaurant and with hunger settling in and keeping in mind previous days troubles I bought bowl of raamen soup. This is basically soup with noodles and other fillings. You eat this with chopsticks. But thankfully only the solid stuff after which you drain the soup(slurping loudly while doing it is the polite way I'm told). 400 yens IIRC.


Finally some pictures from the park plus bird I noticed.








By now the pain in my legs was growing bigger by the moment so rather than continue the walk around the huge park, of which I had covered maybe third if that, I decided to head straight to home. Well almost straight. There was art museum I thought about visiting but first I noticed no photograph sign, then 1000yen price tag. I figured that with the pain in leg I couldn't be there long anyway so I'll come back during sakura season when I can actually enjoy the place. As such all I have to show from that place is statue from the outside.


Then started the infernally long walk back to home. Considered renting taxi for the trip but had no idea how to get one or how much it costs(and I hadn't taken all that much cash with me when I left) so in the end I gritted my teeth and walked. In Finland we have this thing called Sisu! ;)

Did spot couple nice places on my way. There's indian restaurant and I have been waiting for chance to eat in one so I know where I'll be going when legs are feeling better. There's also second hand book store that's positively dangerous. There's for example racks after racks of manga for 105 yen per book. Holy! I need to be careful there. I buy too much and problem comes how to get them to Finland! But at least I know where I'll head on last day if I still have room to take more stuff...

And finally my dinner I got from the 7-eleven along with some bandages for the legs where several blisters have appeared.


Very tasty for about 400 yen.

With the legs being what they are I don't think I'll walk around too much tomorrow but I thought about going to the go salon again(mostly trains thank god) and check out place where they might teach some japanese to foreigners of which I was informed by Sensei(well she gave me link that had information on lots of such places. This one was nearest).

No comments:

Post a Comment