Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rainbow bridge and Odaiba

First comment to the readers. The blog has comment section that you can use. I have 3 week JR pass period coming up soon and my plans aren't 100% set in stone. If you have place you would like to see pictures specifically how about drop a comment along with a suggestion? Won't guarantee I'll go there but if it's interesting spot for me as well and doable then I'll add it to places I'll go.

Today I headed to Minato ward to see the Rainbow bridge and artificial islands called Daiba. Artificial islands were built in the latter half of the 1800-century as a place for cannon batteries to protect the Edo(as Tokyo was called then) from hostile fleets that might be bearing upon the city. As it turned out all the batteries were never removed. These days they are one of the only 2 places in greater Tokyo area where access to sea isn't blocked by industry...

On my way I got to experience the lunch hour at the Shinjuku station. That was experience I have never have had chance to experience in Finland. First approaching the station train was totally crowded. I was there shoulder to shoulder and basically having physical contacts on all 4 sides was pretty much impossible. Then we reached the station and doors opened and this huge swarm started to pour out of all train doors. I was basically swept along the stream pretty much unable to go anywhere but where the swarm was going. I was just trying to pull myself to as small space as I could barely breathing. Good thing there was no real choice where to go anyway, question was just which escalator or stairway you would take(and that's mostly decided by in which doors vicinity you were in the train!). I ended up going escalators and even if I had wanted to use the stairs I could not have done that without resorting to some serious violence.

Another funny experience on the train was this young 4, maybe 5 year old girl who was by the look of it with his grandfather. She kept staring me but if I looked back quickly looked away only to turn head toward again when my gaze went elsewhere. Had hard time keeping off my laughter ;) Have considered couple times to try to initiate talk with these kids but apart from the fact talking in trains is generally discouraged I'm also not sure what parents would think about random foreigner starting to talk to their kids(well grandfather in this case). Also not sure what I would even say to them!

Though if this staring keeps going I might just do that anyway just for fun.

Unfortunately I had managed to take copy of the map to my phone which I only realized when I dropped off from Shinagawa station...Bummer! I only remembered it was somewhere to east from the station so I headed for the east exit. Not having accurate idea of where I should be going I ended up slightly lost. After trying to find something I could recognize for a while I finally had to admit I need help. Luckily convenience store had small map which crucially had nearest police box marked. Figuring there's bound to be good map there went there and sure enough I was soon off with better idea where I was. I was actually just slightly south of where I needed to go!









That's a train I haven't yet used.

Eventually I found the bridge. Next question was how to get UP there? For a while I started to think you aren't supposed to walk it and it's only for cars and trains and already checked price of a train trip(240 yen one way, about 2 euro's). Finally I spotted next to building lying besides the bridge(which is what caught my attention first) レインボーブリッジ遊歩道. Rainbow bridge play-walkpath(well correct translation promenade/esplanade. I just went by the kanji meaning translation. But last 2 kanji's mean walkway for sure). That looked pretty damn promising and sure enough walk inside, step to elevators, choose northern or southern route and you were on this long, long, long, LONG walkway with cars rushing past you.








 Wasn't even at the end when I took this shot from what I had just walked. That's a long bridge!
 SLOW DOWN! Oddly enough sometimes the otose(slow down in imperative) was written with kanji's, sometimes with hiragana's like here.
After walking quite a while(the walkpath was over 900 meters long I think. Cars have it even worse as there's one part where the bridge actually loops over it so cars have to drive a circle over the water) I finally arrived to the first island.


 BEACH! I found a beach! Haven't seen this sight since I came here.



...Except swimming is prohibited. Bloody hell(Well okay I don't think water would be quite warm enough for swimming anyway yet). Signs like these were over the place. Other prohibited things were open fire, unleashed dogs and sport games like football. Huh? Odd beach if you ask me! No swimming, no games. What are you supposed to do here?

Huh what's that? Looks a bit like human face doesn't it?

I walked along the beach until I came across the replica of statue of freedom(jiyuu no megami as it's called in Japanese. Goddess of freedom literally. And yes that's the Japanese name for the one in New York as well). Not as big as the real one though still decently sized. Unfortunately there was some sort of construction next to it that prevented me from getting good pictures from front.










Unfortunately time was running short(getting here, spending time finding bridge, crossing the bridge etc) took longer than I expected and since I wanted to walk over the bridge again(through another side) and it was closing 17.30(and I need to PASS the bridge before that time limit) I decided to head home for now. Didn't even see all the things in the artificial islands. Not even close! Guess I can always come back here if I have time. Everything here is so HUGE! I could spend days just exploring one special ward(well they are basically city of it's own...) and there's 23 of them. Did consider taking boat ride to other side(480 yen if I recall correctly) but it's not like I haven't been in boat before and it wasn't that long trip or one that is likely to have nice views(most which I see from the bridge anyway) so on my feet it is then!



 Think the last two pictures explain reason why swimming is prohibited. Just a guess but maybe these are poisonous jellyfish? I have heard Japan has those. Actually I read experience of British person who went as JET teacher to Japan. He figured that since it was only a while since swimming season ended(surely jellyfish don't have gps tracking devices and calendars) he could still take a swim. Well he got burned by jellyfish and spent 2 rather painful weeks and ruefully lamented that "it seems Japanese jellyfish are particularly advanced breed with gprs and calendars after all" and didn't violate the swimming seasons again ;)




Oww. Looks pretty. Me wants to go! If I had walked through this route on my way I would have dropped by but now wasn't aware that was even there. Next time!
One of the original battery islands.

Trip back to station went without incidents since now I knew exactly how to home in like a guided missile. On my way got to take some more pictures of pretty flowers.




 This is particular favourite shot for me.










Finally reaching station I first went to Harajuku for quick visit(takeshita street was nuts as usual!), another brief stop at Shinjuku and then time to go home. Had meant to visit one live music-food-drink place whose owner I met in the first talking conversation(been intending to check that one out for a while actually) but by now my legs were starting to feel like in flames. Yesterday mountain climbing, today 8 hours on the move mostly by walking. Was doing impromptu stretching exercises while waiting for train just to get some life to the poor legs. Couple Japanese person seemed to be looking at me wondering what the hell I'm doing :D

I need to start planning for the JR pass trip. Actually was supposed to do bit today but was feeling too exhausted to do that. So hopefully tomorrow I can start plotting out a bit where and when I'll be going. Around 11 am I have another meeting at Shinjuku. Think I'll also drop in to pay next month's rent and formally notify them I'm leaving 30.4(you need to do that about month before move out date, but with MINIMUM of one month. Don't leave too late or you pay extra!). Will need to find hotel for last night then but better that than crazy rush to airport. Might not even make it in time since I need to be there for final examination when they come to verify place is in appropriate shape still.

So keeping in mind what I said to begin with start bombarding with ideas ;) I'll be definitely going to Kyoto(though big place so feel free to toss in suggestions where to go there), Fukui Dinosaurus museum and Nara. But apart from those there's no 100% certain places I'll be going so plenty of room for good suggestions ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment