Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Plans for the three weeks

Today's schedule involved meeting with Japanese person. Unfortunately the weather was less than co-operative since it was raining quite a lot.

We had agreed for Shinjuku station as a meeting place and boy I never seem to have easy time finding my way in that station. Other stations aren't that bad but Shinjuku is throwing always curve balls to me. After trying to find either south gate(where we were to meet) or west gate(which I have used and know damned well how to get to desired location) I ended up running into signs of east gate. Seemed like I was walking in circles, AGAIN, here. I spotted some exit and without even caring what sort of exit that is(not main gates definitely) I stepped into rain but I figured I have better luck finding my way around on the ground than on the station. Seems I had left the station on some side entrance on the western side so turning left I finally reached the meeting place.

Meeting itself went fairly nicely. Might be helped that she's studying in England now so my bad pronunciation is less of a trouble for her perhaps than some other persons I have met. First we ate at a restaurant which served for me as a bit of late breakfast. I had INTENDED to grab some meat buns before meeting but of course today was one of the two Wednesdays in this month they were closed. Oops. And then there wasn't time for me to find anything else anyway.

After that we explored the stores of Shinjuku(and I got myself umbrella. Before this there hadn't been much of need so figured let's not buy something I will be throwing to garbage but ah well. Only like 400 yens anyway).


Thing that never stops from giving pause for me is how you have these big modern streets full of people and then you turn corner and find...This! Narrow, not that crowded, old fashioned houses, lots of small restaurants with room for maybe 5-6 people(think I have seen even smaller ones too...). Feels like you have suddenly been transported back in time! And there was one street even more like from some another age. But that's what I like about this place. It doesn't grow old fast. I have barely even scratched the Tokyo in the month I have been here!

During the shop touring I got some more souvenirs for cousins daughter with help of her(haven't before bought anything like this so definitely could use some female assistance in selecting!) and positively adorable doll for my niece. I have suspicion she'll love this.

Kitty is holding folding fan behind as well.

We dropped by Shinjuku gyoen national park. Weather wasn't greatest for park visiting but at least the rain eventually subsided.




 There's this traditional Japanese garden here which was very pretty as you could expect from Japanese gardens.










 Another case of contradictions you find in Tokyo. Nice serene pond, huge modern building right behind it.

Overall fun time though think I spoke too much English. When I have Japanese person walking besides I should take advantage of the situation and talk in Japanese bit more! Urgh. Failure on that part unfortunately.

Rest of the day went going to pay rent for next month, arranging check out time that needs to be done month earlier minimum from check out date and planning for the 3 week JR-pass period(by the way where's the suggestions?). Again noticed how being in Tokyo is bit of inconvenient for this type of traveling. Maybe next time shorten the visit, increase budget for living and sleep in hotels. That way I could spend less time travelling! There's going to be awfully lot of sitting in trains. Good thing I have all these manga I have bought!

Also realized I'm bit lost on how to get to some places. For example Hannoki falls. How to go there? Nearest train station I can seem to find is Tateyama and looks like it would be good 4, 5 kilometer walk from there across the roads. Wonder if there goes bus from there to falls? Would sure help but I have no idea how to verify that!

Anyway keeping those troubles in mind and looking for good and easy to reach places to find so far schedule looks like this:

04.04.13 Thursday Nara
05.04.13 Friday Kairaku-en
06.04.13 Saturday Tokyo
07.04.13 Sunday Tokyo
08.04.13 Monday Myoutsuu-ji
09.04.13 Tuesday kegon falls
10.04.13 Wednesday Tokyo
11.04.13 Thursday
12.04.13 Friday Nagoya castle
13.04.13 Saturday
14.04.13 Sunday
15.04.13 Monday
16.04.13 Tuesday dinosaurus museum
17.04.13 Wednesday Tokyo
18.04.13 Thursday shiragawagou
19.04.13 Friday shiragawagou

After this I still have time until 24th day which is last day JR pass is active. Kyoto trip is still unplanned. It might go toward the end. Then again I might meet person there(though it seems he's having some sort of time eating situation at his hand so whether he has time to meet is another thing) so his time tables also influence it. I might swap some trips elsewhere if I need room for earlier Kyoto trip.

I also realized I'm not leaving main island at all in this trip at this rate. The travel times are murder! I checked trip to Lake Mashuu on Hokkaido but even if I leave Tokyo around 8.30 I'll be at the 2nd last station around midnight and then would need to spend night before continuing to the last station. Where to get hotel that late? Humhum. So that would basically require me several hotel nights. First from Tokyo to around minami-chitose  station in Hokkaido. Then go last stint to nearest station next to lake. Then go marvel the lake. Then start heading toward Tokyo and this requires yet another hotel night.

3 days, 2 nights in hotel and bloody lot of traveling to see one lake. Ummm...Yeah I think not that efficient. Definitely need to add some more viewing there if I go that far but maybe I'll skip Hokkaido for now after all. Still lots to see on the main island.

So. Still one week to wait so feel free to send suggestions for places to go ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment