Thursday, March 14, 2013

Encounters with local people

Today I got a chance to talk more with Japanese people as I had not just one but two meetings arranged. Well one got arranged last night and another today. Pretty quickly but I was today last time available this week so it was today or never.

We had water cut off from 13 to 18 so I washed my clothes before that. The dryers are bit annoying as they don't dry clothes that efficiently.

I heard there was small earthquake around 5.30am but if so I missed it completely. Well they did say it was small...Might have missed others as well. So far have felt just one shake. Good. Can't say I'm exactly thrilled about idea of possibly facing bigger earthquake!

First meeting was over tea and beer(tea for me) and we chatted on various subjects. Lots of it in English(after all I'm supposed to give back help in English. Fair is fair!). Feel like meeting went well enough. Hopefully there will be 2nd meeting in future. The dog was quite an entertainer though as she didn't stay in her place at all. 11 month old so not that surprising.

Second meeting was supposed to be over coffee as well but as I had eaten last time 10 hours again(bleargh) I was starving so asked if she would mind having dinner instead. She said no so we went to Mexican restaurant. Quite fancy place and good food. We ate several meal courses, all excellent. This time there was slight issue with my voice control as the background noise from lots of people was quite high so I overcompensated by raising voice constantly tad too much plus fast talk so she had to keep asking me to calm down. Oops! And I was warned against this by my teacher. She said I can appear quite intimidating even when I don't mean to. Humhum. Anyway on the latter half I think I started to get it bit under control. For speed it helped when I switched to almost full Japanese which forced me to slow down quite a bit.

Hopefully didn't scare her totally off!

Tomorrow I'm off to Matsumoto to see the castle(nicknamed crow castle due to the black exterior). Saturday is trip to Osaka with yet another castle maybe on sights if after finding concert hall and hotel I have time. It's BIG place where the castle is! On night is the concert. Going to be interesting experience just on the basis that it's pretty much first concert I have been ANYWHERE. Well there was a concert Himeka performed in anime convention 2011 summer but that was pretty small scale event.

(And I can for see myself standing out among the crowd like a sore thumb!)

On sunday it's to Hikone to see YET ANOTHER castle(was not intentional. Just happened to notice there's castle here too!) and above all the Lake Biwa.

Expect another update on Sunday earliest. Tomorrow might be too tired from trip to write seeing there's another early wake ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment