Thursday, March 7, 2013

Quiet interlude. But busy planning for next week!

Not much to say about past two days so here's summary of them both. With blisters in feet I wasn't feeling much like exploring the city. After waking I headed toward the shopping street to find  pharmacy for something for these. At least in Finland there's specific band  aids for these but seems not in Japan as I left empty handed. And pretty sure language wasn't issue since the old man asked to show the feet and explained that all it takes is rest, no walking. Well. I just have to take it easy then.

With that I searched for breakfast and settled for some more nikuman I had bought yesterday and also anman, 2 of both. Actually turns out that was tad too much! These things fill your stomach pretty fast. Anman is basically same except with anko filling inside(some sort of japanese bean paste). Actually anman is the original one and nikuman is alternative version. From the two I prefer the meat one. Anko has bit odd taste.

While searching for the pharmacy I spotted go stone container. And then several others. And go boards. Bloody hell I can't be running this good luck wise. This was either go store or go salon so went to check and luck was with me and it WAS go salon. And this literally within walking distance from my home. Not going to abandon the other place either but this is nice place to have as well. Yey!

I also verified I can indeed get cash withdrawn. I had got bit of mixed information so today I headed to nearest post office as I was told it was the best way to withdraw with foreign card. But as it turns out even my Visa Electron was accepted. Good. I hope I don't need to withdraw cash as a) it means I have underestimated needed money badly b) the withdraws have extra fee added to them. So definitely withdrawing "on need" basis is bad idea. If you withdraw cash take lot while you are doing it.

Today's meal I tried was another type of Ramen. Green tea was served in particularly beautiful cup.




At the night I was walking around and ran across another Indian restaurant. I was feeling hungry so went for my first Indian meal. I chose chicken curry with something called "nan" instead of rice. And since I'm not known for common sense I chose it "extra hot". Well meal came, nan turned out to be some sort of bread-like thing and salad was good. Tasting the curry I thought "this is extra hot? I want my money back!". Couple more seconds and I reached for the water cup. What an after kick! It seems nan is tore and dipped to the curry itself. When I left the restaurant I was all teary eyed despite having been given some anti-burning drink.

Very good but very hot. Still I might go there again some time again though was bit far off needing couple train trips.


I stopped also by Shibya to exchange my first JR pass, this time the week long. I'll be using the pass from 12th to 18th. It's still bit early so I leave all the parks I would like to visit for the April. Therefore I think I'll start the JR pass usage by long trip to Hiroshima to see the peace memorial there. On my return trip I think I'll drop by Okayama castle and if time on the park that's right there so that's the one exception to no parks now. I expect this to take Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday maybe drop by Matsumoto castle that's slightly north of Tokyo.

Saturday I'll be heading toward Oosaka for the concert. Well actually I might head there on Friday already. Not sure yet. Adding extra day would give more time to look around and make damned sure I can find the concert venue. For Sunday I'll be heading home toward some roundabout way. Maybe lake Biwa near Kyoto? Actually there's place called Hikone next to the lake Biwa(lake btw is so BIG I can't possibly hope to go around it at least on foot :D Quick estimate from google map it's 30-40km long one way...) that seems to have park and another castle between station and the lake. Sounds like a plan.

So far summary is therefore:

Tuesday: Hiroshima
Wednesday: Okayama and back to Tokyo
Thursday:Matsumoto
Saturday: Oosaka
Sunday: Hikone and back to Tokyo

Still leaves 2 days, Friday and Monday. Any suggestions? Of course Friday could be used as just a rest as 3 days of traveling going over 900 km away from Tokyo is going to be quite tough probably. Maybe go see Mt. Fuji from some nearby place? Can't climb there(probably would die if I tried and it's not even climbing season anyway) but just the sight from the down here would probably be quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment