Friday, March 15, 2013

Matsumoto castle

Today my train travelling continued with trip to see Matsumoto castle and today was a LUCKY day.

Luck was good right off the bat when I was able to board train from Shimo-takaido bound for Shinjuku on first attempt. On Tuesday it took me FOUR attempts before I was able to get in. That's how busy they are around 8 am...Unfortunately I too want to get on my way early to have lots of time with sun up on destination so have to try the rush hours. It's quite an experience to stand there crowded shoulder to shoulder. Good if you can breath!

Trip itself was pretty uneventful and since it was only 285 kilometers pretty short even if I had to use non-shinkansen for part of the trip. Above is my breakfast that I ate as part of long trip travel ritual. Good tea by the way.







Some random mountain shots. I just love the sight of all these mountains here.

Finding the castle proved to be easy enough. This time finding my direction was fairly easy. I had just arrived from Matsumoto station to NORTH Matsumoto station so if I look ahead so that the way I came was on my right I'm looking at the east where the castle was. Easy as stealing candy from a kid! Then it was just walk straight forward until I saw the shape of castle behind houses and then just walk until I came to entrance. This time no trouble whatsoever to find the spot I wanted! If only it was this easy all the time...













Entrance to the castle was different in one aspect from previous ones. We had to take off the shoes! Guess because this one actually is the Real Deal and not replica. Also ladders used to get between levels were darned inconvenient. For one they were very steep and distance between steps was quite high. Very easy to lose your footing so be careful. For second at times ceiling was very low. I think they could be tad low for average sized Japanese and I'm quite a tall guy. Might be tad taller than average Finnish male and they are in general taller than Japanese. I bumped my head to ceiling once and had trouble at couple other spots and my back bag was hitting the low ceiling after head passed it as well. Bummer.

Inside was large collection of ancient firearms. The castle by the way was built after firearms were introduced to Japan which is evident by number of firing holes designed for muskets(small square ones rather than rectangular ones for arrow shooting) and important places were designed to withstand musket fire. Did get to take photos from the top. Nice view down from over 20 meters above the ground.






After interesting climb back down(those triple damn ladders. Not helped that highest two were so cramped only one person could use it at times and it was used to go both up AND down so had to wait for the route to clear before going down) I was walking back where I had come when I spotted kimono clad woman and what looked like samurai armoured doll. "When did that doll come here? Not here when I came to castle". Then the head moved!

It was not a doll but actually a guy wearing samurai armour. This I just had to see so obviously went to marvel at the armour. And then the lady asked if I would like her to take picture of me next to the samurai. Hell yea! And they didn't even ask for money. I would have handed out 1000 yen bill in a blink of an eye if they had asked.


The better of the two shots. I love the sword he pulled out for this shot.

Not sure how real the armour and sword were but looked pretty impressive anyway.



Couple more shots from the castle. The black exterior does give it nice feel.



There were couple birds swimming with bunch of carps around them. Good thing for the carps the birds are not fish-eating birds ;)



Interesting spot that one. When pedestrian lights turn green they turn green EVERYWHERE so you had all the lanes usable. Guess it's even safer this way when no car will be going anywhere while people are crossing the streets.

And this was my dinner today. Again curry and rice. Good meal in that it's damn easy to read from menu's. With some ice tea of course. I'm loving that stuff! Also some salad. Not sure what the red stuff next to rice it but colours the rice effectively.

Well tomorrow is trip to Osaka and the concert there. Should be interesting as it will be first concert of any serious size for me whether we are talking from Finland or Japan. Photographing not allowed in concert either so no photo's from there but maybe some from Osaka castle and from the city itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment