Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kalafina

First couple pictures that got left out from yesterday's blog entry.








Today was basically dominated(for me) by one event: The Kalafina Concert! I had been hoping to get to this from about the day I knew for sure I'm going to Japan. Was waiting eagerly for news that they would be holding concert while I'm here. Was starting to think they won't when I FINALLY heard they would be holding special one day concert at Tokyo. Sent instantly request for Japanese company hiring them to try to buy me ticket which they ended up failing due to sold out. Somehow then 10 days later I managed to get one. Not sure where those tickets had come as the company had tried the same machine I had used as well. Well not complaining! I got the ticket and that's all that mattered.

Leaving up nice and early I dropped first on Akihabara for bit of souvenir scouting since it was like 5 minute train trip from the concert hall(free for me as well due to JR pass). Then straight to nearest station from the concert hall.

Arriving to the concert hall(easy to find from station. Go to east exit, turn left, walk forward, you see name of place on your left soon) I found out that the place was filled with eager fans. Wow. First several waiting rows of specific seat customers. Then fan club seat rows. After those I finally found where I was supposed to wait having number 581 from those. Yikes! Not sure how many listeners there were but probably a lot. After concert doors opened took 30 minutes before I started to get to move. And it wasn't just mad rush toward gate oh no. They were calling people to line up in hundreds. "Numbers below 100. 100+, 200+". Good thing I could recognize when they shouted numbers from 500+ to proceed :D

I had been bit worried about how good place I could get but as it turns out need not worry. I had very good view to stage after all! And since the arena had sort of extension where the girls(well maybe not girls really seeing oldest one is just 2 or so years younger than I am!) sometimes came giving me VERY good view from maybe 8 meters away!

Since this band was not idol band like previous ones there were several notable differences. First one was obvious even before the singers arrived. They had live band to accompany! Guitar, bass(whose outfit reminded me a lot of Agent Smith from the Matrix!), drums, violin, keyboards and also some 6th guy not visible. Not sure what he did? My Japanese wasn't good enough to catch that during the introductions.

Second difference came apparent quickly. Rather than bunch of pretty girls dancing we had three more than beautiful women singing. And I mean singing. The movements they did were mostly with knees and arms rather than choreographed dance performances.

Third difference was that until encore they did whole concert in same outfit.

From left to right, Hikaru, Keiko and Wakana(my favourite).

(Fourth difference: K-18. Not sure why but no entrance for under 18 people!)

Fifth difference: Gender balance in the audience seemed to be more even than with the idols. Lot more female audience on sight. Right around me were several even and lots were visible in the waiting lines.

(Seems I'm having trouble finding youtube videos of several songs. Sorry!)

First song was one I was not familiar. From later talk I THINK it was the name song of their newest album(cover picture above) Consolation. Makes sense really. Since I don't have the album available(it's either on my home or somewhere between Hong Kong and Finland. Either way not here!) can't verify. Second song I have heard but unfortunately can't recall name! ARGH!

(edit: Having received set list first was actually the first two songs, al-fine and consolation from the album. Second was song called Kyrie)

Next three I'm not sure order since I wrote them down later(realized I could write these things to questionaire we were given. Didn't feel like filling it since it would take time). One was Hanataba(again from the new album. Good thing I heard the name), Sandpiper and Moonfesta(this song is btw actually used in opening of some kids singing tv program. As a result is quite different from usual Kalafina songs as it's lot more cheerier.)

(edit: From set list Moonfesta, Mune no yukue(heart's location), Hanataba(banquet), sandpiper.)

After this came first of my favourite songs. Actually it was THE favourite song Magia! This song is the one that introduced me to the band and it still is favourite(though Hikari Furu comes close).


Kiichigo no Shigemi ni was performed after Magia.

Then one of the cheerier songs from the band Hikari no Senritsu(light's melody).

Then song I did not recognize(maybe another from the new album). Start was pretty nice though as the girls got in turn sing solo parts and when they were singing only they were lighted up. First Wakana(hardly negative for song that my favourite member begins :D), then Hikaru and finaly Keiko.

(from set list: Door. Indeed from the new album. Nice song. Can't wait to listen the album!)

Another song they performed around here was song called Mirai.

(hmm had heard the song, have watched the anime. Didn't connect them before but of course in the Anime you only hear the instrumentals more or less).

This song is called Aria.

Then came song I recognized from lines "kono mizu wa doko e tsutsuku"(where this water continues). The second I heard that part I realized what song I was listening. They actually used smoke machines here to throw lots of smoke around. Have to admit that with lots of smoke and yellow light so that you only saw dark outlines in the smoke it was quite dramatic sight.

Another song I can't put name followed by short solo's by each orchestra member. Nice touch that! They also asked people where they come from and they even happened to ask if by chance somebody is from "kaigai"(abroad). That's me! And some 3 or 4 other guys that I could quickly spot. Wow! Wasn't only foreigner who had came to concert it seems. Then YET ANOTHER song I have trouble finding what it was(doesn't help I don't have my song collection available so can't even check if I would recognize them by ear).

(edit: From set list: Signal and Obbligato, again from new album. No surprise I didn't recognize them!)

Then came one of my favourite songs Manten(part of which works as my phone's ring tone. Little brother can't copy that one :D Mwahaha! Oh wait. He actually has smart phone so if he really wanted guess he could...Oops!).


Then came proper introduction of the orchestra members(funny note from here. After the song crowd was chating(not any word really. Just "HOO! HOO!" type of chanting. Wakana suddenly thrusts arm forward in clearly "silence" order and hey presto crowd stopped and the introduction started. Japanese really follow instructions!) followed by yet another song I'm very familiar with, To the Beginning. Alas can't seem to find non-cover version of it at all. Bummer.

After this band left and people started to clap and shout for encore(I even joined in). This was the ONE cloth change they did in whole concert. And when encore started I realized answer to question that had been nagging me. WHERE's HIKARI FURU! Being their last single I had thought FOR SURE it's performed here but so far not a sign of it. Well when the lights came up again Wakana was standing on front of the extension of the stage(so about 6-8 meters from me at most), the other two were further behind on the main part and the familiar instrumental filled the arena. I could have shouted out for joy! My 2nd favourite song whose beginning is dominated by my favourite member was saved for the encore. Yey!


Pity the new clothes weren't the ones from this single(though had bits that were bit like it).

After this yet another introduction of orchestra(huh?), bit of chat(including inquiring are the standing audience still feeling okay after close to 2 and half hours of standing(and jumping) answered by lots of DAIJOOBU DESU!(Yes we are!) and finally one more song(Yume no Daichi from newest album. Heard the name!). Dreams country(daichi has kanji's for big and land). Pretty nice song so that's good new song from the album for sure.

After this one last round of thanks from all the members and then orchestra left and girls came to end of extension again for thanks and waves before doing final exit.

What an concert. I was having so much fun I was actually jumping up and down at times which I find difficult(too shy!) so if I could do that it's telling how much good time I was having. Only problem I had was that it was too short! Could have listened for more than 2.5 hours for sure!

After concert was over got myself scarf/towel, some sort of 8 page paper and whopping 236 page 5-year history of the band(in Japanese so good reading practice!) from the concert goods sale area. Unfortunately during the concert rain had started to POUR and I had no umbrella! Had to cover the goods with my jacket so ended up doing mad sprint through streets of Tokyo in my t-shirt! Must have been pretty odd sight with jacket in my arms and t-shirt on ;) On my way to home I dropped by 7-eleven and laughingly commented "hidoi tenki desu ne"(horrible weather isn't it) while being totally soaked. Got laughter from the staff for that one. Good thing I brought with me spare shoes as I think I might need them tomorrow...

So overall great day. Maybe not worth the price of coming to Japan but certainly icing on the cake to have this as part of the trip ;) I just hope I can get another chance to listen them live!

No comments:

Post a Comment